Pages

Friday, June 6, 2008

Ready, Set, Heat!

If the meteorologists are correct, then all of our preparations should pay off. The last few days have been cool and damp, including some much needed, steady rain (yay!). But the weather prognosticators are saying that we are in for an “official” heat wave. That means three or more consecutive days with temperatures above 90 (32 C) degrees. If either of my sisters, who live in Georgia and Arizona, are reading this, they are no doubt doubled over in laughter and calling us heat wimps! Heat wimps we may well be. I have no idea how they tolerate the fierce heat and, for Gail in Georgia, the sweltering humidity. I know I couldn’t handle it!

While my sisters need and have central air conditioning, we use an Energy Star window air conditioner, which Chuck installed in our bedroom yesterday. That along with ceiling and stand fans, a screened front porch and my favorite low-tech accessory gets us through the hottest of summer days. This afternoon, to further prepare, I cooked up a storm. I made up a big bowl of pasta salad with lots of veggies. Then I cooked a double batch of felafel. Finally, I made my quick gazpacho, this time using the fire roasted tomatoes. Now everything is stowed in the refrigerator, ready to be pressed into service to help pull together quick meals.

Of course, this flurry of activity to get ready for the predicted heat wave, could be akin to carrying an umbrella and insuring it doesn’t rain! I’ll keep you posted...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was up at 6 this morning and it was already 73 and humid out. I flipped on the A/C in both zones and proceeded to clean. My ceiling fans are whirling and I couldn't be more comfortable. Of course, I won't be leaving the house but who cares.... I have plenty of books and a lovely big TV to watch. Thank goodness I am easily amused.

Seriously, even with the sweltering heat, I still love it down here. It has been over 92 all week and they don't even call it a heat wave!

Gail

Pink Granite said...

Hi Gail -
You are very industrious - especially on such a icky-sticky day! You and I both share the trait of being easily amused - something which makes Chuck very happy!
I am soooo very glad that you love where you live and more than a year on, you are happy with the decision to relocate!!! Even if a week of better than 92 degrees each day doesn't count as an official heat wave!!!
;o)
- Lee